ASR Manual Chapter 2: The ASR Universe
BoI- Main Page |
Star Fleet Library |
SF Engineering |
SF Intelligence |
SF JAG |
SF Marine Corps |
SF Medical |
SF Records |
UFP Dept. of Colonial Affairs | UFP Educational, Scientific and Cultural Org.
WRITING GROUPS: Star Fleet: PRIME (SD- 2427) | Star Fleet: ORIGINS (SD- 2261)- DEFUNCT | Star Fleet: BEYOND (SD- 2771)- DEFUNCT
Since the the club's founding in 1991, a rich tapestry of history has been woven by the hundreds of writers who have come through ALB's doors. Those creatve works have formed our back-history, the basics of which are listed below.
- 1992-1996 Eugenics Wars
- 2053 World War III
- 2063 Cochrane brakes the light barrier
- 2113 Founding of the New Earth Republic
- 2151 Launch of the USS ENTERPRISE, NX-01
- 2156-2160 Earth-Romulan War
- 2161 United Federation of Planets founded
- 2218 First contact with the Klingon Empire
- 2245 Launch of the USS ENTERPRISE, NCC-1701
- 2253 Axanar Rebellion
- 2264-2269 ENTERPRISE's first five-year mission under Captain Kirk
- 2267 Organian Peace Treaty
- 2285 USS ENTREPRISE, NCC-1701 lost in orbit of the Genesis planet
- 2286 USS ENTERPRISE, NCC-1701-A launched
- 2291 USS ENTERPRISE, NCC-1701-A decomissioned
- 2293 Khitomer Accords
- 2294 USS ENTERPRISE, NCC-1701-B, EXCELSIOR class, launched under Captain Harriman
- 2335 First contact with Cardassians
- 2344 USS ENTERPRISE, NCC-1701-C, AMBASSADOR class, launched under Captain Garrett and is destroyed at Narendra III
- 2363-2371 USS ENTERPRISE, NCC-1701-D, GALAXY class, launched under Captain Picard
- 2367 Battle of Wolf 359 with the Borg
- 2368 Klingon Civil War
- 2369 Cardassians withdraw from Bajor; Deep space 9 opened
- 2371 USS VOYAGER lost in the Badlands
- 2372 Klingon Empire dissolves Khitomer Accords and attacks Cardassia; USS ENTERPRISE NCC-1701-E, SOVEREIGN class, launched under Captain Picard
- 2373 Cardassian Union forms an alliance with the Dominion; Federation enters an uneasy alliance with the Romulans and the Klingons in repsonse
(2398-Present Events as they occured in the ASR universe )
- Borg invade the Romulan Star Empire (estimated)
- First Battle of Bellatrix, defense of SB GAMMA from the Borg; Battle of Cait, defense of system from the Kzinti Patriarchy
- Romulan Star Empire's Borg War ends when the Borg mysteriously withdraw from Romulan space
- Second Battle of Bellatrix, defense of SB GAMMA from the Dominion
- Romulan Entente
- Caitians order Star Fleet to abandon Silver Fleet Command Starbase Epsilon and leave Caitian space
- Silver Fleet patrol cordon reallocated to include the region of the BETA Quadrant along the Cardassian border
- Reaver Incursion into Silver Fleet patrol cordon
- Federation confrontation with forces of the Echen F'Don in GREEN Fleet's Area of Operation; destruction of USS SABRE and USS WYVERN
- Battle of Terebellum, defense of SB OMEGA from the Dalriadan Alliance
- Xanthandi Invasion Fleet destroyed inside Coalsack Nebula
- Destruction of Red Fleet by spacial rift
- Destabliization of Klingon Imperial Government
- K'Goth (Qeghotlh), House of Duras, seizes Klingon Imperial Throne
- Second Klingon-Federation War begins
- Cease fire with Reavers signed
- Gibraltar II Wormhole discovered near Cardassian border
- Point Gideon Station opened around Rijenna in the Daru Zhauir sector
- Battle of Iotia destroys Gorn strip-mining operation on Iotia; enslaved Iotians freed
- Lehrren and Woren civilizations discovered through wormhole near Goliath Nebula in GOLD Fleet Area of Operation
- Reavers break cease fire
- 1st and 2nd Battles of Tybiiran defend GOLD Fleet from Gorn Hegemony incursions; destruction of USS SPITFIRE and fatal crippling of USS RAMSES
- Oessa withdraw from Daru Zhauir
- USS THUNDERCHILD engulfed by anomalous energy wave 3 million km from Earth on April 7th - ship disappears, is presumed destroyed
- Colonization in Daru Zhauir begins
- Armistice with Reavers established
- Deep Space 13 destroyed
- Assasination attempt on Ambassador Linkri Saresh on Cestus III
- Biogenic weapons-smuggling ring, run by Section 31, uncovered on Cestus III involving Gorn Hegemony and Orion Syndicate middlemen
- War between Romulan Star Empire and Federation averted after uncovering Dalriadan plot to de-stabilize relations between Romulans and Federation
- Romulans discover a source of bursite within the Orestes sector
- USS YAMATO destroyed
- Federation uncover Romulan possession of bursite mines within Orestes
- Evidence of Lehrren/Woren occupation of worlds inside Orestes discovered; second Lehrren/Woren wormhole uncovered in Orestes
- Reappearance of USS THUNDERCHILD
- Establishment of SAPPHIRE Fleet to patrol the Cardassian and Breen borders and explore the frontiers along the rimward areas adjacent to it.
- Discovery of lost starship USS AKAGI NX-03.
- Disbanding of SAPPHIRE Fleet
- Re-opening of BLUE Fleet
The Faces of ASR
Writers have written and created characters of many different races. Below are just some of the races, both canon and original, that have made an appearance over the years in ASR.
Founding Races of the Federation
- Terrans - Humans. Evolving on Earth, Terrans have spread out across the known galaxy. There are numerous human colonies both within and outside the Federation and many humans live on worlds founded by other races. Many Terrans are driven by a drive to explore the universe around them and to seek out the unknown. As such, a large portion of the members of the Star Fleet are Terran. Terrans have also had a pivotal role in shaping the government of the United Federation of Planets.
- Alpha Centaurans- Very much like their Terran bethren both physically and characteristically. Only slight differences in appearance- Alpha Centaurians tend to be a bit stockier and hardier than the average Terran- exist.
- Andorians- A violent and passionate people, they are foils to the Vulcans. However, this does not make them any less valuable a race; their expertise in the fields of weapons technology and intelligence have been of great value to the Federation. Their physical appearance is bipedal, with blue skin color (that varies in tone from plae to darker blues), white hair and antennae which seem to be an afterthought of evolution, much like the human appendix.
- Vulcans- Perhaps second only to Terrans in terms of influence and power within the Federation. They share a desire to learn and explore; however, the subjugation of their emotional qualities and aversion to most practices of warfare make them very different than their Terran counterparts. Consequently, a large number of Vulcans choose more peaceful and academic positions, making wonderful Ambassadors, doctors and scientists. Physically, they are slightly taller and thinner than humans, though hardier and stronger, with a copper-based blood that tints their skin green. They also have distinctive, pointed ears.
- Tellarites- A volatile race marked by physical features that can only be described as "piggish"- blunt, flat nose, pointed ears, short and rotund in standing. Everything about their way of life is war-like, down to their approach to negotiation- they view negotiations as a form of verbal warfare, and treat it as such. In all walks of life, they are aggressive, blunt, and rarely prone to compromise. However, these traits, though often thought of as negative, have served them- and the Federation- well in the past, especially in times of war. Tellarites often occupy regualr positions in the upper levels of operational command, and as intructors in basic strategy and tactics.
Other Important Federation Races
- Betazoids- An elegant humanoid race marked by their abhorance of warfare and aggression as well as their telepathic and empathic abilities. As such, Betazoids are consummate healers ofboth the mind and body, and are generally found as counselors and doctors, though certainly more than a few Betazoids have risen to starship command.
- Bolians- Bolians have a general hominid appearance- bipedal and upright, head on top of torso. However, there are several cosmetic differences that make Bolians quite distinctive from other races. Most notably, their skin tone is blue, usually of a pale blue hue. Bolians also have a bifurcated head and face, which divides it neatly in half. Typically, Bolian eyes are gold, but a recessive gene in their chromosomes will give the rare Bolian orange eyes. Another trait characteristic of Bolians is their baldness, but this is a cultural thing rather than a genetic norm. These relatively new additions to the Federation are excitable- they enjoy life to its fullest, and are most eager to please others along the way.
- Please see "The Great Big Bolian Handbook" for more in-depth details of the Bolian race.
- Caitians- A felinoid race of a warlike nature. While their culture is patriarchal, it is the women who are the more active in terms of military service, mirroring the Terran feline's social structure of the males running the tribe while the female hunts. However, they are also fiercely independent, and therefore are not always the best Starfleet officers.
- Lyrans- A felinoid race that mirrors some of the larger feline species on Terra, such as the lynx, rather than the more domesticated appearance of the Caitians and Sivaoans. They are extremely war-like, having refines their craft over the centuries of open warfare with the Kzinti.
- Sivaoans- Another felinoid race. This race forms a more tirbal community at home than most Federation races. Their actions are marked by the insistence of addressing everyone by his or her full names, as addressing one by less implies a more intimate relationship than most Sivaoans are comfortable with. Peaceful by nature, but bold and courageous when needed.
Major Foreign Powers
- Borg- The Borg are a collective of cybernetically enhanced humanoids. The Borg expand their sphere of influence by attacking and assimilating entire worlds into the collective. First contact between the Borg and the Federation came in 2365 as a result of the actions of Q. The first Borg attack on Earth came in 2367 and was repelled. The android Lore led a group of Borg on a series of attack against the Federation in 2369. The Borg made a second attempt to assimilate Earth in 2373 and were repelled. The Borg then invaded the Romulan Star Empire, assimilating several worlds on the antispinward side of the Empire and launching several series of attacks against the Romulan Star Empire between 2398 and 2406. In 2406, they pushed out of Romulan Territory and again attacked the Federation at SB Gamma. That attack was repelled by a joint Federation-Romulan force. In 2407, the Borg withdrew from Romulan space. Little has been heard from the Borg since 2407, though they are still classified as a high-threat power.
- Cardassians- Once a spiritual and peaceful people, the population of Cardassia Prime grew to a point where the planet could no longer support the civilization. During this time, the military gained strength. To gain the resources needed to maintain the standard of living on Cardassia Prime, the military embarked on a series of wars of conquest and greatly expanded the terriroty of the Cardassian Union. The planet Bajor was annexed in 2328, making the greatest extent of Cardassian expansoin. The United Federation of Planets fought the attempts of the Cardassian Union to expand past Bajor and into the Federation treaty expansion territory. Finally in 2366, the Federation and Cardassians entered into a truce ending open hostilities. The Cardassian people tend to be pale and thin, and, at least militarily, share much in common attitude-wise with the Romulans.
- Dalriada- The Dalriadan Alliance is a multi-system, multi-species cooperative built around the core words of the Star Kingdom of Dalriada. The Alliance border reaches its closest point to Federation claimed space a mere 30 light years away from Starbase Omega. The Alliance is the largest (known and contacted) government native to the region coreward of the Federation, numbering over 200 star systems. The Dalriada themseves are a group of homo sapiens native to this region of the Alpha Quadrant. The Federation does not know how they got here, although biological evidence collected from those who have visited Starbase Omega indicates they are indeed homo sapiens, and therefore probably came from Earth at some point in the past. Their technological development level is on par with the Federation, but derives from a somewhat different base. This meant that when open war erupted between the Federation and the Alliance in 2410 the Federation was not be prepared to handle Dalriadan warships. Although the war lasted less than two weeks before a cease fire was agreed upon, though a formal treaty was not reached until 2412, the Dalriada had proven their point to the Federation. Interference in traditonal patterns of trade in the region and the Dalriadan economy would not be tolerated. In truth, the Alliance and Federation have much in common. They are both collections of approximately 200 semi-independant worlds which have united together, freely, for mutual defense and security. Both powers value individual rights and freedoms. However, while the Federation has developed a largely socialist model where money has little value to most of its citizens, the Dalriadan Alliance is fiercely capitolistic. While the Alliance has limited government-sponsored services, the individual is financially responsible for the majority of their own needs. Even though this has the potential for wide-spread poverty and hunger, the average quality of life in the Alliance is actually higher than that in the Federation.
- Dominion- More than two thousand years old, the Dominion is one of the largest and oldest known interstellar powers. The government of the Dominion is controlled by the Founders, a race of shape-shifters able to mimic other objects and people so well as to be nearly undetectable even with scanners. The will of the founders is ruthlessly enforced by the Jem'Hadar, engineered warriors with a fanatical devotion to the founders that borders on worship. The Vorta are used by the Founders to control the Jem'Hadar and as ambassadors. When the races of the Alpha and Beta Quadrants gained access to the Gamma Quadrant through the Bajor wormhole in 2370, the Dominion reacted violently to drive the invaders from their territory. No way was ever found to peacefully co-exist with the Dominion. It is known that the Dominion has spies in the governments of many of the Alpha and Beta Quadrant powers, some of whom are founders, but the full extent of the network is not known. The Klingons, Cardassians, and Federation joined forces, briefly, in the 2370's to prevent the Dominion from gaining a foothold in the Alpha Quadrant. After the discovery of the Herod II wormhole in the Romulan Neutral Zone, the Romulans and the Federation joined forces to prevent the Dominion from establishing a foothold in the Beta Quadrant. (It was that cooperation that led to the Romulan Entente.) Today, the Dominion remains a threat, though one largely contained in the Gamma Quadrant.
- Fardons- The term 'Fardons' refers to the Terran Standard transliteration (and pronunciation) of the self-described 'Echen F'don' which they equate in Terran standard to 'Fardon Empire.' The Fardons are a technologically modern space-faring empire with discernible territorial ambitions on several systems in Federation Space. Because the exact location and extent of Fardon space are still unknown, it is impossible to judge reliably if the empire is, in economic terms, satiated. While expansion is the most straightforward explanation for their territorial aims, it is at least conceivable that seizing a few key systems would be of considerable political value to fuel that which appears to be an imperial renascence (harkening back to the 'classical' Fardon period from 4500-1500 B.C. Terran time). Moreover, any projections of their likely commitment of naval and ground force assets to these campaigns is entirely guesswork. They are tactically sophisticated, strategically aware and employ a highly developed intelligence arm which has successfully infiltrated Star Fleet. While the current focus of their activity appears to be several systems within former Gold Fleet patrol zones, they are to be considered an emerging threat, especially since securing a beachhead there would put them within striking distance of core Federation worlds.
- Ferengi- The Ferengi Alliance is an interstellar power governed by the rules of capitolism which placed a sacred importance on commerce and on the honoring of contractual obligations. While not militaristic, most Ferengi trading ships are armed and quite capable of self-defense. The largest commecial transports in the Alliance have armament comparable to warships of the first rate.
- Gorn- A reptilian-like race in appearance, the Gorn are divided into two major governments:
- Gorn Hegemony- A smaller but more dangerous faction that seceded from the Confederacy about 75 years ago. They operate in clans, with the most dominant (i.e. strongest) clan represented by the Hegemon. As their worlds are mineral-poor (not naturally- they have long since stripped their worlds of their natural resources), they have fought a number of aggressive skirmishes and wars in the recent past, against both the Tholians and the Federation, in an attempt to secure natural resources for their military needs.
- Gorn Confederacy- The larger, original Gorn government currently allied with the Federation. Their underlying principles revolve around the number "3": they have 3 planets which serve as capital of the government in 3-year cycles; their internal structure revolves around triple redundacny; they have three philanges on their hands, etc. They have sent more than a few officers into Starfleet in an Officer Exchange Program, and have been peaceful, if not strong, allies to the Federation.
- Husnock- The Husnock were first encountered in 2361 by USS ENTERPRISE (Jean Luc Picard, commanding) when it responded to a distress call from the colony on Delta Rana IV. ENTERPRISE found the colony destroyed with the exception of 2 humans, Kevin and Rishon Uxbridge. The two claimed the colony was destroyed by a race called the Husnock but could not explain how they had been spared. It was discovered that Kevin Uxbridge was not human but was instead a Douwd, a race with Q-like powers. He admitted to destroying the Husnock raiders and 'killing all of them, everywhere' in a fit or rage. The Husnock were first encountered by SILVER Fleet in 2409 when USS FEYNMAN (Zane, commanding) discovered a derelict Husnock warship. The warship was salvaged and contact was made with the ship's artificial intelligence. The ship, renamed DEFENDER OF HOJI was later used to route an invading Xanthandi war fleet, as a temporary base of command for SILVER after it was expelled from Cait and finally as a Flagship for Admiral Azariah Nicholas. Information in the HOJI's log located a derelict Husnock base which was salvaged and converted into the current SB EPSILON. And additional Husnock facility is located in the Coalsack Nebula. First discovered by USS VALIANT (Killian Maguire, commanding) this base is home to five distinct Husnock AI each with a differing view on humanity and its allies. On several occasions they have 'captured' Federation vessels for 'investigative purposes'. All that is left of the Husnock Empire are derelict ships and facilities. It appears that the Husnock relied heavily on artificial intelligence and computers and they are all that is left of the warrior race. Each AI has a distinct personality and intelligence level. Some are happy to work with Starfleet such as the AI that 'inhabited' the base that was converted to SB EPSILON, while others are very distrustful of the Federation and humanity in general.
- Issahi- The Issahi are a race of lizards that resemble the Velociraptor of Earth. They are a warlike race that live by a strict code. Central to this code is a multi-level caste system. Each caste is denoted by specific colour markings on the Issahi skin. (Red for warriors, green for scholars etc). The highest caste is the warrior caste. Membership to a caste is determined at birht by the colour markings. It is unsual for offspring to have the same markings as its parents. On occasion offspring will be born with the markings of another caste. In such instances the offspring is immediately killed by its parents. If the markings donate a lower caste then that of the parents it is considered an ill omen and in this instance a ritual killing of the offspring must be performed to 'cleanse' the family. First contact with the Isshai was made in 2409 when they sent a human representative, martin Ross, to the newly established Starbase EPSILON. Ross had been found, and claimed, as a child on a colony ship that had strayed into Issahi space and been attacked thirty years earlier. (Ross ahd been the only survivor). Meeting with the current CINCSILVER, Vice Admiral Azariah Nicholas, Ross presetned Nicholas with the Sword of Costales and formerly requested Federation help against the Reavers. Ross also presented proof that the Reavers had been responsible for the destruction of USS SERAPIS six motnhs earlier. This meeting saw the beginning of an uneasy alliance based on political expedience between the Issahi and the Federation. The Issahi Empire consists of 27 worlds spread over 14 systems. Only three of the planets were not directly colonized by the Issahi. The inhabitants of these three worlds, the few that survived, were given limited self rule so long as they met yearly 'tributes' to their new masters. These worlds are a serious bone of contention between the Federation and the Issahi.
- Klingons- Encompassing nearly half a million square light years of space, the Klingon Empire is a large interstellar empire dominated by a single species. The government is largely oligarchical with the Emperor as little more than a figurehead for the most powerful families of the Empire. Physically, the Klingons are large and burly bipeds, with a large cranial ridge that extends down the back, protecting the spinal column. They often have long, black hair, with the males adding a beard as a symbol of strength- something the Klingon culture, as a warrior race, values second only to honor.
- Kzinti- The Kzinti are a warrior race. In appearance, they are much like bipedal Terran tigers with a naked, rat-like tail and large, bare fan-like ears. In the days before warp drive, the Kzinti ruled an interstellar empire. It spanned more than thirty light years, and a number of slave races. In 2049, the Kzinti finally met a species that did not fall before their advance: humans. Over the next decades, the Kzinti and humans fought a total of four wars. By the last war in 2064, the Kzinti had assembled a huge fleet that would have been able to smash any human opposition, save one factor. By that time, they fought a human species that had discovered warp drive. Human ships were able to dart in and out around the Kzinti fleet, allowing hit-and-run tactics which the Kzinti warships could not match with only sublight drives. Following the Man-Kzin Wars, the Kzinti Patriarchy is forced to adapt to life without their slave races and within the limits imposed by the victorious humans. They generally become isolationist, choosing to maintain their own ways on Kzin and their colony worlds, which are not within much easier reach due to warp travel.
- Orions- The Orion sphere of influence is a loose connection of independent governments contained within the Federation Treaty Expansion Territory and bordering on the Klingon Empire. The Orions have a strong mercantile tradition; however, they also have an equally strong military tradition and are fiercely independent. The Klingons have attempted to invade the region only to be defeated by to hit and run tactics employed by the Orions. Federation attempts to unify the terriroty and include it in their sphere have met with similar resistance. The region is a well known haven for pirates.
- Reavers- Insectoids. Little is known about this race which was first encountered in 2409 after the Issahi requested Starfleet assistance to stem an invasion. (Circumstantial evidence points to Reaver scouts destroying USS SERAPIS in 2406). The Reavers seem to resemble insects in more than just their appearance. Besides looking like 5 foot ants they have a very strict caste system with various levels being clearly defined by coloured markings on their torso's. The warrior caste seems to be the prevelant denomination with all over sects servicing them. The one exception being the leadership. Reavers see all other races as vermin that must be exterminated. They are ruthless in their pursuit of this goal and it seems to be their one objective. Technologically inferior to the Federation their strength lies in their numbers and their tactic of swarming. It is not known if they have a homeworld. All indications point to several large groupings or hives slowly making their way through the galaxy. Should the Issahi Dominion fall the Federation will lie clearly in their path. Captured Reaver vessels have determined that they strip worlds and vessels of all they need to sustain themselves including other races for food.
- Romulans- Encompassing over half a million square light years of space, the Romulan Star Empire is a large interstellar empire dominated by a single species. While slightly larger that the Klingon Empire in terms of total volume of space dominated the Romulans control fewer systems because stars are less dense in the region spanned by the Star Empire. Moreover, the Romulan systems tend to be mineral poor. From a physiological standpoint, they are distant cousins to Vulcans, making them similar in makeup, if not attitude- they tend to be emotional and clever (if not downright sneaky) people.
- Sidhe Imperium- Little concrete information is known about the enigmatic Sidhe (pronounced shee) Imperium. Intelligence data is largely second hand, gleaned from other species along the frontier. It appears that the Imperium is composed of a number of species in a cooperative alliance. The exact relationship between the species is not completely clear and they, at times, appear to act independently of one another.
- Tholians- The Tholians are a cystalline-based life form that, at least as some evidence suggests, may not have originiated in this galaxy. They are an extremely xenophobic people, and very precise and demanding. As such, they guard their borders vigorously, meeting any and all who cross their borders promptly and swiftly. They have bene, in the recent past, in on-again, off-again conflagrations with the Gorn Hegemony, and have also fought the Romulans within the past 10 years. In each case, these were defensive wars for the Tholians.
- Treaji- The UFP were first made aware of the Treaji from an unmanned Treaji SETI probe which was intercepted by the USS Kingston in 2378. Two years later, the USS Krakatoa traced the location of the Treaji homeworld during her survey of the cluster. First official contact was made in 2380, initiating peaceful, if distant, relations between the two powers. The cluster's geographic isolation and the Treaji's limited range made more meaningful pursuits too difficult. The Treaji exchanged diplomatic pleasantries with every Federation vessel it enountered and offered escorted passage through their space, but little else came of the encounter before the 25th century. When the Krakatoa conducted the first close-range exploration of the cluster in 2380, it uncovered the existence of a dozen interstellar civilizations. In the intervening years, fifteen new species in Galapagos have either developed interstellar civilizations on their own or been helped to modernization by one of the leading powers. TACFLEET estimates that by the late 2500s most or all of the species in the cluster will be taking part in the interstellar arena; the number and population of advanced civilizations there will rival the Federation.
- Xanthani- The Xanthandi developed in the Xanth system (GALREF176-723-464). Their pre-contact empire constituted of the nearby cluster of three stars, as well as another four systems near Federation space. They are an intelligent and dangerous species, of which not much more is known..
Following is a compilation of the many acronyms one finds in use in alt.starfleet.rpg. It is by no means inclusive, but makes an attempt to cover those most commonly used.
There are three sections. The first covers administrative acronyms and administrative billet descriptions. The second covers non-admiralty billet descriptions--that is, those in use in role play aboard ships, stations, etc. The third part covers some commonly used military acronyms which have crept into ASR writing. The last part does not include those acronyms set forth in the document on ratings (that is, occupational specialties) for enlisted personnel. Moreover, rank abbreviations are set forth in the document on ASR ranks. It does, however, cover some non-technical Trek acronyms.
Finally, not all acronyms in the first part refer to positions which are currently manned in role play. Some, like SECIS and TACFLEET refer to institutions which are not currently manned by an administrator, but exist as part of the campaign fabric for ASR and occasionally crop up in role play.
Administrative Acronyms and Billet Descriptions
- ALB: Armstrong Lunar Base; ALB, located on Luna, Earth's moon, is the location of the training offered to all new ASR players.
- ASR: Abbreviation for alt.starfleet.rpg.
- BATRON: Battle Squadron. Alternative to task force organization. See TACRON.
- BUPERS: Bureau of Personnel. General term of the process of assigning personnel to a ship. The Chief of Star Fleet Operations (see below) is responsible for BUPERS.
- BUFAC: Bureau of Facilities; one of Star Fleet Engineering's intenral divisions responsible for all building and upgrading of Star Fleet facilities.
- BUSHIPS: Bureau of Ships; another of Star Fleet Engineering's internal divisions, this one repsonsible for design, building, testing and refitting the ships in the service of Star Fleet.
- COMALB: Commander, Armstrong Lunar Base. The Commander (or Commandant) of ALB, with the assistance of the Adjutant, assigns new ensigns to holodecks for training. COMALB is usually a Vice Admiral (VADM, O-9) and sits on the Flag Council. The Adjutant is usually a Rear Admiral (RADM, O-8).
- CINC: Commander-in-Chief.
- CINCSF: Commander-in-Chief, Star Fleet; the CINCSF is the elected head of ASR. The CINCSF conducts the Flag Council, chairs the Round Table (RT), and is ultimately responsible to the RT for the club's affairs. The CINCSF is an Admiral (ADM, O-10).
- CINC<COLOR>: Commander-in-Chief <Colored Fleet>; the fleets are Green, Gold and Silver. The fleet commanders are hence CINCGREEN, CINCGOLD, and CINCSILVER. Fleet commanders are typically Vice Admirals (VADM, O-9) and sit on the Flag Council.
- <COLOR>XO: Executive Officer of a Colored Fleet; the fleet XO's are thus GREENXO, GOLDXO, and SILVERXO. Fleet Executive Officers are often Rear Admirals (RADM, O-8) or Commodores (CDOR, O-7).
- COM: Command(er) of a specific unit. Not the same as the rank of Commander (CDR, O-5).
- COM<COLOR>TF<X>: Commander, Fleet Name, Task Force <Task Force name>. For example, COMBLUETFA would be Commander, Blue Fleet, Task Force Alpha. See BATRON and TACRON. Task Forces are administrative divisions of fleets. Task Force Commanders are often Commodores (CDOR, O-7) unless task force command resides with the fleet executive officer or fleet commander.
- COMANC: Commander, Ancilliary Personnel; Typically a Vice Admiral (VADM, O-9), COMANC is responsible for the administration of the free threads. COMANC sits on the Flag Council. NOTE- This is currently not a sitting billet.
- COMLOG: Commander, SF Logistics; Typically an Admiral (ADM, O-10). Responsible for oversight of the branch heads in ASR, including SF Engineering, Sciences, Medical, etc. In genre terms, COMLOG is the head of Star Fleet Logistics. COMLOG is also responsible for the web page and sits on the Flag Council.
- COMPA: Commander, Public Affairs; Special assistant to COMLOG. Typically a Rear Admiral (RADM, O-8).
- CSFMC: Commandant, Star Fleet Marine Corps; The CSFMC is typically a General (GEN, O-10) and at present is fielded on a NPC (non-player character) basis by the player of the CINCSF.
- CSFO: Chief of Star Fleet Operations; Typically an Admiral (ADM, O-10). The CSFO is the second highest ranking officer in the game, the direct superior of the fleet commanders and is responsible for BUPERS. The CSFO is also the CINCSF's XO and serves as Vice-Chair of the RT.
- DIRSECIS: Director, Security and Investigative Services; the DIRSECIS typically oversees all internal Federation police and security matters.
- DIRSFCOU: Director, Star Fleet Counseling; The director of Star Fleet Counseling supervises both the Academy counseling curriculum and the certification process for counselors. Most often a Captain (CAPT, O-6). Reports to MEDCOM.
- DIRSFMED: Director, Star Fleet Medical; The director of Star Fleet Medical supervises both Star Fleet Medical (the school) and the certification process for medical officers. Most often a Captain (CAPT, O-6). Reports to MEDCOM.
- DSFI (alternately DIROSFI): Director of the Office of Starfleet Intelligence; the DIROSFI is typically a Rear Admiral (RADM, O-8) or a Vice Admiral (VADM, O-9), and oversees the external intelligence branch of ASR.
- EXFOR: Expeditionary Force. COM<NAME>EXFOR's are commonly Commodores (CDOR, O-7) and command multiple unit missions.
- FC: Flag Council; alternatively, fleet commander. Bear in mind that neither the Round Table (RT) nor the Flag Council (FC) exist in role play, but are strictly administrative devices for governing ASR.
- MEDCOM: Commander, Medical Corps; Typically a RADM (O-8), this officer commands the entire Star Fleet Medical Corps, which includes Star Fleet Counseling Services.
- OFSI: Office of Star Fleet Intelligence; OFSI is charged with collection of external intelligence (not within SF) for use by TACFLEET, fleet command staff, etc. Has limited operations activities. The director (DIROFSI), as mentioned above, would typically be a Rear Admiral (RADM, O-8), with a Deputy Director of Intelligence (DDI) who would be a CAPT (O-6) and a Deputy Director of Operations (DDO) who would also be a CAPT (O-6).
- RT: Roundtable; governing body of ASR. The members of the Flag Council and representatives (usually the commanders) of each role play unit are represented there.
- SF: Star Fleet or Starfleet.
- SFA: Star Fleet Academy.
- SFE(NG): Star Fleet Engineering; COMSFE is typically a RADM (O-8), this officer is responsible for Star Fleet Engineering and its divisions, as well as BATA, the Bureau for Alien Technology Assessment.
- SFJAG: Star Fleet Judge Advocate General Corps; The office of the Judge Advocate handles the prosecution (and provides the accused with legal defense) of crimes charged under the Uniform Code of Military Justice. Has limited investigatory powers for preparation of cases. JAG, with the assistance of the counseling corps, also handles casualty calls. COMJAG is typically a RADM (O-8).
- SFSCI: Star Fleet Sciences; COMSFSCI is typically a RADM (O-8); this officer is responsible for Star Fleet Sciences including the provision of astrophyisical charts, classification systems for stellar and planetary matter, etc.
- SOCOM: Special Operations Command; Handles spec ops for both the SFMC and SF. Many units have both marines and naval personnel attached. All assigned operational personnel are part of the SSF (Special Services Force), regardless of marine or naval status.
- SSF: Special Services Force.
- TACRON: Tactical Squadron. See BATRON. Alternative to task force organization.
- TACFLEET: Star Fleet Tactical Command; TACFLEET is charged with evaluation of intelligence provided by TACFLEET assets (probes, recces, etc), reports from Star Fleet vessels and other personnel, reports from OFSI (see above), BATA, etc. Makes recommendations to fleet commanders for deployments, missions, etc. DIRTACFLEET would typically be a Rear Admiral or Vice Admiral (O-9) but the position is not currently staffed in Star Fleet. Mission content is the responsibility of fleet commanders.
- UFPDOCA: UFP Department of Colonial Affairs; DOCA is responsible for maintaining information about Federation colonies and the mega-corporations that do business there. In genre terms, DOCA is responsible for administration of Federation colonies and protectorates.
- UFPESCO: UFP Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization; UFPESCO collects and disseminates information about alien races, friend or foe.
- UFPSECIS: UFP Security and Investigative Services. This branch is similar to the current U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation. It does vetting of backgrounds, investigations of crimes for prosecution by the Judge Advocate. Handles all -internal- fleet investigations.
Standard Billet Descriptions
- CO: Commanding Officer.
- CEO: Chief Engineering Officer.
- CIC: Combat Information Center Officer.
- CMO: Chief Medical Officer.
- COU: Counselor.
- CSO: Chief Security Officer.
- FCO: Flight Control Officer. Often also the NAV or NAV/A and HELM.
- FO: First Officer. See XO.
- HELM: Helmsman.
- LO: Legal Officer/Liaison Officer (Usage varies).
- MCO: Marine Commanding Officer.
- MXO: Marine Executive Officer.
- NAV: Navigation Officer. See NAV/A.
- NAV/A: Navigation/Astrogation Officer.
- OPS: Operations Officer.
- PRO: Protocol Officer; often also the Legal Officer.
- RO: Recreation Officer.
- SCI: Chief Science Officer.
- SOO: Strategic Operations Officer. See CIC.
- SSO: Ship's Services Officer.
- XO: Executive Officer.
- 2O/SO: Second Officer. Not in use on some ships. Not an independent billet.
The following are optional billet acronyms in use around ASR:
- SEC: Security Officer (the department head). See CSO.
- TAC: Tactical Officer. Often also the CSO or SEC.
- MED: Medical Officer (the department head). See CMO.
- ENG: Engineering Officer (the department head). See CEO.
- MO: Marine Officer (marine commander).
- INTEL: Intelligence Officer.
- FlOPS: Flight Operations Officer.
Common Military (or Trek) Acronyms
- AWOL: Absent without leave.
- BIOWAR: Biological Warfare.
- CHEMWAR: Chemical Warfare.
- CIC: Combat Information Center.
- COIN: Counter-Insurgency Operations.
- COMINT: Communications & Intelligence.
- CSI: Communications Security Information (security tag).
- CWD: Critical Weapons Data (security tag).
- CT: Counter-terrorism.
- DIP: Diplomat or diplomacy.
- DS: Deep Space Station.
- FC: First Contact.
- FCO: Flag Council Only (security tag).
- FR: Force Recon(aissance).
- HD: Holodeck.
- HQ: Headquarters.
- HR: Hostage Rescue.
- HUD: Heads-up Display.
- IMINT: Image Intelligence.
- INSUROPS: Insurgency Operations.
- KIA: Killed in Action.
- MIA: Missing in Action.
- MP: Military Police.
- OA: Open Access (intel data rating).
- OMEGA: Omega or Ultra Secret (intel data rating).
- OP: Operation.
- PARWAR: Partisan Warfare.
- PSI: Psionics or psionicist.
- PSYWAR: Psychological Warfare.
- RMF: Refit & Maintenance Facility.
- SAR: Search-and-rescue.
- SB: Starbase.
- SENINT: Sentient Intelligence.
- SIGINT: Signals Intelligence.
- SP: Shore Patrol.
- SPECWAR: Special Warfare.
- SPECOPS: Special Operations.
- SSI: Sensitive Source Information (security tag).
- WIA: Wounded in Action.