BoI- Main Page |
Star Fleet Library |
SF Engineering |
SF Intelligence |
SF JAG |
SF Marine Corps |
SF Medical |
SF Records |
UFP Dept. of Colonial Affairs | UFP Educational, Scientific and Cultural Org.
WRITING GROUPS: Star Fleet: PRIME (SD- 2427) | Star Fleet: ORIGINS (SD- 2261)- DEFUNCT | Star Fleet: BEYOND (SD- 2771)- DEFUNCT
Official UFPDOCA Colony Entry: Adagis 5
- Colony Name: Adagis 5 (An Alainn Tuath)
- Creator: Matthew Cunliffe
- System/Location: Adagis/towards galactic core
- Distance to Nearest Starbase: 12 weeks, five days (96LY) at Warp 6 from Starbase Omega/DS 239; 25 years, four months (10 000LY) at Warp 6 from Earth (Sol 3): At D-Warp, a starship can make it in around 26.5 days from Earth
- Planet Classification: Temperate Earth Type (M Class)
- Gravity: 0.85g
- Oxygen: 1.3 times Earth normal
- Satellites/Space Stations: No moons. Communications Satellites only
- Land/Water Ratio: 35:65
- Climate Controlled: No
- Native Sentient Life: None
- Colony Age (approximate): 2326AD / 83 years
- Population (approximate): 250 000
- Species Present: Human; small indigenous animals and plant life; imported animal and plant life (farm animals, wild boar, wolves, birds etc)
- Colony Status: UFP Protectorate
- Government: Governing Council of Ruling Lords (Stable Oligarchy)
- Major Cities/Settlements: Borallin (Capital, 5 000 inhabitants)
Founded only recently, Adagis 5 is a colony made up of Terran colonists mainly from the geographical region of Scotland, although there are people of other origins. The original population was only 5 000, but was boosted by artificial reproduction to around 100 000. This supply of fertilised ova has run out, but the population is growing at a steady rate.
Latinum based. Agrarian. Self-sufficient, with few exports. Mining is done in the mountains, mainly for precious stones which are traded for limited technology. The colony is still too young to have built up a strong export/import base, although tourism may be an option.
Out on a limb, it is technologically backward, relying on combustion engines and animals for transport. Adagis does have modern education satellites, and shuttles for ground transport, but for the main part, the populace rely on wheel-based transport for local transportation.
The system of government on Adagis is composed of the Governing Council of Ruling Lords. Each Lord holds sway over a section of Adagis, and represents the needs and wants of the citizens within that area. The Lord himself holds council regularly, to which any citizen may appear to file a petition. The Lord is honour-bound to resolve any matters put before him. Ruling Lords are hereditary positions, based on a traditional Scottish family (Macintosh, Dougall, etc). There are twenty such Ruling Lords.
Adagis 5 is slightly colder than Earth, being similar to Scotland in its more temperate regions. The poles are unexplored, being too cold. Dotted with mountains and lakes, the land is relatively untouched, with farms dotted across the landscape. Most travel between cities and the outlying districts is by shuttle, the rest is by combustion engine vehicles. Plans are going ahead to remove this potential for pollution, but it will prove costly. To improve this situation, production in the mines is being improved in order to boost import/exports and tourism is being envisaged. The only problem with this is the isolation of the colony.
Because of the patriarchal nature of the culture, Adagian colonists have difficulty responding to females in positions of power, although they are not averse to it. Colonists also tend to be rather tall, and lightweight, requiring regular doses of Tri-ox in normal Earth atmospheres unless their lungs are artificially enhanced.
A great tradition on Adagis is The Chase. Here, colonists carry long spears, and beat out boars from the forests. By standing in front of the boars, they are able to spear them. Killing a boar is considered a mark of maturity, and is often used as a rite of manhood.