BoI- Main Page |
Star Fleet Library |
SF Engineering |
SF Intelligence |
SF JAG |
SF Marine Corps |
SF Medical |
SF Records |
UFP Dept. of Colonial Affairs | UFP Educational, Scientific and Cultural Org.
WRITING GROUPS: Star Fleet: PRIME (SD- 2427) | Star Fleet: ORIGINS (SD- 2261)- DEFUNCT | Star Fleet: BEYOND (SD- 2771)- DEFUNCT
Official UFPDOCA Megacorps Entry: Anchor Holdings
- Company Name: Anchor Holdings, Inc.
- Headquarters: Martian City, Mars, Sol IV
- Sectoral Headquarters: Andor, Tellarus, Beneluxia, Rigel V
- Principle Owner/Chairman of the Board: RADM Horace J. Dalton, esq. (ret)
- President/CEO: RADM Carter J. Crowell, esq. (ret)
- Founded (date): Jan 15, 2176
- Founded by: William T. Dalton
- Public?: (Y/n) Y
- Major Shareholders:
- of Common Stock:
- Dalton Trusts (39%)
- Wellington Trusts (9%)
- Ellsworth Holdings (4%)
- Elsing Trusts (3%)
- Crowell Farms (3%)
- of Preferred Stock:
- Dalton Trusts (65%)
- Wellington Trusts (5%)
- Ellsworth Holdings (4%)
- Elsing Trusts (4%)
- Eggleston Farms (10%)
- balance held in assorted private portfolios.
- of Common Stock:
- Principle business activities: Mining & Extractive Industries, Chemicals, Metals Fabrication, Shipbuilding, Energy.
- Wholly owned subsidiaries (all Martian corporations, save those holdings incorporated locally to accomodate local content laws):
- Anchor Mines (Core competentcy; Mines and otherwise extracts ore bodies from Sol System asteroid belt, outlying moons. Has staked claims to mineral deposits in over thirty planetary systems, forty-seven of which are in production).
- Anchor Chemicals (Manufacturers and markets industrial chemicals, large defense contractor)
- Anchor Metals (Manufacturers industrial metals and alloys, large defense contractor)
- Anchor Trading (Wholly owned export trading company)
- Anchor Energy Holdings (Newly formed holding company to put all of Anchor's energy related holdings under one umbrella. Does turnkey production of energy facilities in Fed colonies and protectorates; other projects are wholly owned.
- Anchor Shipbuilding (Major defense contractor for shipbuilding industries, substantial SF business as well as Fed member navies; thirty percent of business is commercial shipbuilding).
- Anchor Engineering Consultants (Consulting firm specializing in energy, mining, and materials engineering.)
- Principle Competitors: AsterMin, Inc.; Chapman Mines.
- FY2409 Total Revenue (UFP Credits): 980 Billion Credits
While not the largest of the megacorps, Anchor Holdings is well regarded in financial markets for the low debt/equity ratio, better than average earnings per share, relative insensitivity to business cycles due to diversification and vertical integration.
Though the founding family never held a controlling interest, effective control is accomplished by proxies and the tightly knit community in which the major individual investors reside. The majority of the remaining common stock is traded by large institutional investors. Share price tends to be prohibitive for prospective individual investors, though the stock has split several times. The stock's ADR's are traded on most non-terran Federation exchanges.
Anchor Holdings, Inc. was founded on Jan 15, 2176 by William T. Dalton, a natural resource lawyer who was instrumental in developing the commercial code that governs extractive industries in the Sol System. More a legal scholar than a businessman, he staked a number of claims to the richer and most accessible areas, and left the operation of the business itself to his oldest son.
Anchor Holdings initially consisted of Anchor Mines, with Anchor Trading, Anchor Chemicals and Anchor Metals formed as the company began to vertically integrate.
As warp flight became economically feasible, Anchor Shipbuilding was formed to take advantage of a mushrooming market. Moreover, Anchor soon branched out beyond the Sol System, following Star Fleet's explorations. A number of Anchor executives have gone on to act as advisors to and often serve on industry panels for the UFP Dept. of Colonial Affairs.
Moreover, Anchor has long enjoyed success in the defense contracting business and it is well known among retired non-commissioned Star Fleet personnel that anyone with a technical or security rating and an honorable discharge can find employment there.
Currently, control of the Dalton Trusts (and by extension effective leadership of Anchor Holdings) is in the hands of RADM Horace J. Dalton, esq., UFPSFJAGC, (ret.). He has been chairman of the board since his grandfather's death in 2389. In 2407, with the support of the board, he appointed RADM Carter J. Crowell, esq., UFPSFIA, (ret.) to the office of president and chief executive officer.
While initially leary, financial markets are now quite enthusiastic about Crowell's tenure. Earnings have stabilized and remain strong, with a high upside potential for growth. The company has consistently done an admirable job of balancing reliance on core competencies with the safety of diversification. The specifics of their matrix management model remain a closely guarded corporate secret, but business scholars believe it relies upon a tight and detailed system of information management and well-developed control systems.
Additional queries may be submitted to Office of Public Affairs, Anchor Holdings, Inc., 123 Red Desert Blvd., Martian City, Mars, Sol System.