BoI- Main Page |
Star Fleet Library |
SF Engineering |
SF Intelligence |
SF JAG |
SF Marine Corps |
SF Medical |
SF Records |
UFP Dept. of Colonial Affairs | UFP Educational, Scientific and Cultural Org.
WRITING GROUPS: Star Fleet: PRIME (SD- 2427) | Star Fleet: ORIGINS (SD- 2261)- DEFUNCT | Star Fleet: BEYOND (SD- 2771)- DEFUNCT
Official UFPDOCA Colony Entry: Beneluxia
- Colony Name: Beneluxia
- Creator: Paul Canniff (compiled by D'Maris Coffman)
[LT Jan van den Broek (KIA), CDT Henryk van den Broek, CW1 Dink Thorrsson (MIA)]
- System/Location: Alpha Carinae III
- Distance to Nearest Starbase: 60LY to SB BETA
- Planet Classification: Terraformed (functional Class M)
- Satellites/Space Stations: No natural satellites, numerous geocentric communications and observation satellites, several permanent orbital stations, drydock facilities, refit platforms.
- Land/Water Ratio: 40/60
- Climate Controlled: Yes
- Native Sentient Life: None
- Colony Age (approximate): 2201
- Population (approximate): 400 000 000
- Species Present: 95% terran homo sapiens (human), otherwise assorted
- Colony Status: Full Federation Colony (affiliated w/ European Union)
- Consular Officer: Karl Willem van den Broek, Royal Netherlands Legation
- Government: Parliamentary Democracy
- Major Cities/Settlements:
- Capital: Niewe Haag (New Hague)
- Regional Capital (New Netherlands): New Amsterdam; New Rotterdam
- Regional Capital (New Belgium): New Brussels, etc.
Beneluxia is one of the older Terran colonies, one of a number of terraforming projects over two centuries ago under the aegis of the European Union. It is, in fact, three colonies: New Netherlands, New Belgium, and New Luxembourg. The capital, Niewe Haag, supports most diplomatic and government functions, whereas the regional capitals, New Belgium and New Amsterdam, the two largest and most important, serve as commercial centers.
In political structure, Beneluxia emulates the Swiss system, its three constituent members functioning like cantons. The confederate structure has worked quite well, proving a deterrent to civil unrest or any significant challenge to representational democracy.
Beneluxia is home to the sectoral headquarters of a number of influential mining and trading companies, including Billiton Metals (division of Royal Dutch Shell), Devlin MacGregor, Anchor Holdings, and assorted others.
Latinum based; technosocialist safety net; favorable terms of trade for offworlders and favorable corporate taxation.
Cultural influence is primarily that of the Benelux countries, Netherlands, Belgium and Luxembourg. Some presence of Northern Europeans (particularly Norwegians and Danes) involved in limited fishing and agricultural industries.
Beneluxia is by all accounts a shining example of terran colonization. While a thriving commercial center, the colony also serves to preserve the cultures of the terran "Benelux" countries. While Star Fleet personnel are welcome to take liberty on Beneluxia, they should be aware that local law differs little from that of Terra and is strictly enforced.