BoI- Main Page |
Star Fleet Library |
SF Engineering |
SF Intelligence |
SF JAG |
SF Marine Corps |
SF Medical |
SF Records |
UFP Dept. of Colonial Affairs | UFP Educational, Scientific and Cultural Org.
WRITING GROUPS: Star Fleet: PRIME (SD- 2427) | Star Fleet: ORIGINS (SD- 2261)- DEFUNCT | Star Fleet: BEYOND (SD- 2771)- DEFUNCT
Official UFPDOCA Colony Entry: Borodino
- Colony Name: Borodino
- Creator: Terry Franchetti
- System: Borodino
- Location: Green Fleet Zone
- Distance to nearest Starbase: Starbase 424 is in geo-stationary orbit over planetary Capital.
- Planet Classification: M Class
- Planet Name: Sverdlovsk
- Satellites/Space Stations: Many
- Land/Water Ratio: 69/31
- Climate controlled: No
- Native Sentient Life: None
- Colony Age: Federation Colony Age 208 years
- Population: Approx 7 Billion Humans
- Species Present: Humans
- Colony Status: Federation Member
- Government: Democratic
- Major Cities: Sverdlovsk (Capital) â€“ Population 320 Million humans, Moskva â€“ Population 165 Million humans, Volganin â€“ Population 42 Million humans, Sevastopol â€“ Population 29 Million humans
- Major Space Stations: Starbase 424 â€“ Population 6,800 humans â€“ STARFLEET FACILITY, Hermes Cluster â€“ Collection of Micro-Wormhole Generators and Subspace Relays. Hephaestus Station â€“ Large Wormhole Research Facility. Athena Station â€“ Subspace Observation & Research Facility. Kalinin Free Trading Station â€“ handles cargo arriving/departing the system. Kuznetzov Orbital Trading Station â€“ handles planetary cargo for the planet, Sverdlovsk.
Discovered originally by the USS Shenandoah, prior to the establishment of the Federation, and colonized predominantly by humans from Western Russia. It was a wild, unstable frontier colony in the early days of the Federation; it quickly became a stable colony as the Federation expanded in all directions. For many years it was a producer of civilian starships and the smaller Starfleet Frigates and Transports.
Then the Dominion War came and the Borodino System became part of the front line for the Sixth Fleet. Repeated Jemâ€™Hadar raids destroyed its space-borne shipbuilding capacity and the system came close to invasion just prior to the retaking of DS9. Today, the systemâ€™s economy has shifted away from construction towards high technology research.
After the Dominion War ended and after Jupiter Station successfully created a short-term micro-wormhole, the Borodino system was selected in 2386 as the new home of the Federation Micro-Wormhole Galactic Communication System, which is housed in the Hermes Cluster of small space stations. Some ten years after this program began, in 2397, the experience with micro-wormholes led to the building of the Hephaestus Station, dedicated to the creation/formation of large wormholes, suitable for medium to large-sized ships to travel through. The program became operational in 2399. Although the station has never created a large, stable wormhole, efforts continue to this day.
The information gathered from wormholes led to the last and most recent science station to be constructed in 2408, the Athena Station, a Subspace Observatory/Research Facility. Becoming operational in 2410, data gathered by the Athena Station helped in the creation of D-Warp Theory.
- Full System â€“ Early 25th Century.
Once an outward-looking colony, since the end of the Dominion War, the system has become somewhat separated from, and distant towards the Federation as a whole. Most citizens on the planet (Sverdlovsk) never travel outside the system in their lives and many never even leave the planet. A sizable minority however, participate actively in Federation activities and with the various aliens who communicate with the Federation, at various levels, through the micro-wormholes generated by the Hermes Cluster Stations.
The Borodino system is the center of the Federationâ€™s still-young (but growing) Galactic Communication Program. By opening micro-wormholes and transmitting subspace signals through them, the Federation has opened communications (and in some cases, diplomatic relations) with many societies scattered (somewhat randomly) around the galaxy. It is also home to the Large-Wormhole Creation Project and since large wormholes are difficult to open, and more importantly, difficult to close once open, the Borodino system is home to the Sector Reserve Force (1x CBC, 3xCA, 2xCL, 4x DD and 6xDE). Starbase 424 is also heavily armed and carries two Fighter Wings. Should a hostile force enter the system through a wormhole, Task Force Borodino is ready to respond.