BoI- Main Page |
Star Fleet Library |
SF Engineering |
SF Intelligence |
SF JAG |
SF Marine Corps |
SF Medical |
SF Records |
UFP Dept. of Colonial Affairs | UFP Educational, Scientific and Cultural Org.
WRITING GROUPS: Star Fleet: PRIME (SD- 2427) | Star Fleet: ORIGINS (SD- 2261)- DEFUNCT | Star Fleet: BEYOND (SD- 2771)- DEFUNCT
Official UFPDOCA Colony Entry: Gargola 3
- Colony Name: Gargola 3
- Creator: Margaret K. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- System/Location: Gargola System; just outside Klingon space; close to the Badlands; system contains five planets and an asteroid belt
- Distance to Nearest Starbase: 1 week to DS9, 3 days to Outpost 53 (inside Klingon space)
- Planet Classification: L-Class (average daily temperature 26 degrees Celsius, rotation 28 hours, revolution 402 days, axial tilt 17 degrees, gravity 1.26 G)
- Satellites/Space Stations: five natural satellites (all less than 50 km across but with a high albedo)/two orbital space stations
- Land/Water Ratio: 55% Land/ 45% Water Land is 55% dessert, although temperate areas do exist, especially closer to the poles and the various watercourses. There are four large continents with small islands scattered throughout the oceans.
- Climate Controlled: No
- Native Sentient Life: None
- Colony Age (approximate): 230
- Population (approximate): 1 000 000
- Species Present: 28% Vulcan, 24% Bajoran, 23% Klingon, 17% Human, 8% other
- Colony Status: UFP Protectorate
- Government: A ruling council of 14 at the planetary level; each town has its own town council for local government. (Quasi-officially known as the High Council and Town Quorum respectively.) Elections are held approximately every 6 years.
- Major Cities/Settlements: Shalaar City (the capital), Kathos Ford, Dalta, Pelthos, New Buffalo Jump, Chang Hai, Quatre Riviere (all other cities have a population of less than 10 000)
First surveyed in 2181 by the Vulcan Science Vessel Torval. Finding meteorological conditions similar to some of the coastal regions of Vulcan an agricultural research colony was set-up three years later. Very little vulcaniforming was required to adapt plants to the native soil.
There was some small scale immigration over the next hundred years (back to nature groups, small religious groups, and various scientific teams), but very little population growth due to the proximity to the Klingon empire. It is perhaps surprising that the colony was never attacked.
In 2305, a three ship fleet of Bajorans fleeing the beginnings of the Cardassian occupation of their world set up first a refugee camp then a city with full permission from the Vulcan scientists. In 2320, the Klingon Empire petitioned the Vulcans and Bajorans for a chance to set up an agricultural test colony of their own. By then, the colony had already petitioned to become a protectorate of the Federation and a sizeable contingent of humans and other Federation citizens had moved in.
Since then, the colony has done a thriving business in foodstuffs, although with the advent of replicators, the industry has shifted to providing terraformers with starter material. Some major corporations have opened branch plants in the major cities as well.
Latinum based. Agricultural research, agriculture, fishing, high tech manufacturing and asteroid mining form the core of the industrial base. Gargola 3 itself is mineral poor.
Officially a mix of Vulcan, Bajoran, Klingon and human although the majority of inhabitants follow their own cultural heritages.
Official business is conducted in all four official languages.
The code of law is Vulcan in origin, but has been rewritten extensively to accomodate the later colonists. Major differences include a code duello, from which the casual visitor is excluded.
The system has a lot of tachyon eddies (similar to those found in the Denorius belt near Bajor).
The name Gargola 3 was chosen during a planetwide referendum as the compromise which offended the smallest number of people.